The calm after the storm... searching for a job as a new developer 💻



It's been a few weeks now since the graduation from the Technigo bootcamp and since I handed in my final project (check it out here). The job search has officially begun ✌ I've made a plan to spend half of the week applying for jobs, internships and generally connecting with companies and other developers and the rest refining my JavaScript skills and preparing myself mentally for tech test! Admittedly a lot of time is spent on LinkedIn 😋 and I've found some interesting companies that have really sparked my attention and that I want to pursue more. I'm noticing how I'm drawn to companies that create products and services that are similar to my final project. 

It feels so nice after the last stressful weeks of the bootcamp and the intensity of learning all these new skills for the last six months to focus on finalizing the last piece of the puzzle and getting a job 🧩 I know that finding a job can be in it's own right very stressful and time consuming, but I'm focusing on making connections, applying and preparing myself mentally for the different questions I will be asked from "what are my strengths" to the salary negotiation. 

I've realised that it's also important to think about what you want as a new developer. So when searching for a job you can easier identify if a company would be a good match for you or not. This is something we've discussed a lot on the career coaching part of the Technigo bootcamp. Things to think about are:
  • How do you want to develop as a frontend developer? 
  • What learning opportunities do you want in your new job e.g. do you want to sharpen the skills you already have in HTML, CSS, JavaScript and React or do you want to start learning new frontend languages? Or maybe even some backend?
  • What kind of company do you want to work for? Does the company culture match what you're after in an employer? For example are they open to asking you how you want to evolve as a developer and will they give you the tools and opportunities to make this happen? 
  • Do they promote team time that's fun and creative?
  • Does the message they're conveying online really reflect how they are in person and do they promote their employees on social media?
I think that this is something that everyone should consider when looking for a job or if you're assessing your current company and role. As someone who has worked in design and been told that I should be grateful to have design opportunities as it's a very hard industry to get into I found this advice very refreshing. Of course I want a job and I wish that I could somehow tell my future employer how much I'm looking forward to working for them and how much of my heart and soul I will put into my job 🔮 but it's super important to take a step back and think about what you want and what will make you happy. 

Hopefully this will help in the search for finding the meant to be company and job that will be the best fit for you. The company that you can be honest and open with and the one that will listen to you and be honest about what their expectations are. It is a two way street after all. So here's to the next chapter in my frontend developer journey, the job search and further development phase! Fingers crossed that meant to be company is considering my application as we speak 🤞

Comments