My top tips to anyone considering becoming a frontend developer or who's starting out on their journey


Image by Clemens van Lay
Image by Clemens van Lay


I’m nearing the end of the boot camp (only 4 weeks left! šŸ˜¢) and I've learnt a lot about becoming a frontend developer. Here are a few tips to anyone who’s considering becoming a frontend developer or who's starting out on their journey.


Set small goals

Taking the step to become a frontend developer is a big one, and it feels like there’s a lot to learn. Especially when you’re learning a new language like JavaScript and putting logical thinking into practice. At times I really doubted myself, that I would never get it. So I decided that I needed to break it down, take time to understand the different parts and then when I felt I understood the parts, then I could start to implement them together. 


Practice, practice, practice

Once you’ve decided which parts you want to focus on the next step is practice them a lot. Take the time to let the concepts sink in and practice writing the syntax. Don’t copy and paste, type the syntax so you can get the flow of it. Even if you don’t fully understand it. 


Be curious

A big part of being a frontend developer is being curious. This is something I realised early on where googling became part of my frontend developer everyday. I also realised when I saw how people wrote the same code in different ways that being curious comes into play. Asking questions helps you to learn how others write code, how you can make your code more efficient and that you’ll learn to find solutions easier


Connect with other developers and share your journey

Throughout the last 5 months I’ve had some great ups and some hard downs. Downs that made me question if this career change was right for me. Not fully feeling confident in my new developer skin I always felt lucky that I had my Technigo team that I could turn to. To share when I was feeling unsure about this path, to get a second set of eyes on my code when I had a coding problem and to chat about feeling inadequate when I saw others excelling. This is something that I think I feel most grateful for since I started my journey and something I encourage all developers to have.


Thanks for taking the time to read my tips. I hope that they will help anyone considering to become a frontend developer or are starting out on their journey šŸ’– Not long now until the boot camp ends and the job search fully begins .

Comments